Desk of Contents[Hide][Show]
I really like oregano for its medicinal qualities in addition to its superb taste. So every time I can use it in a recipe, I’m joyful to. This Greek salad is a straightforward manner to make use of oregano and different Greek flavors in a tasty dish that satisfies the entire household. We love making this when the tomatoes and cucumbers are popping out of the backyard on the similar time.
A Little Historical past of Greek Salad
Whereas we don’t know for positive how the Greek salad got here to be, we do realize it’s not as outdated of a convention as many assume. The reason being that the tomato didn’t turn out to be a preferred Greek ingredient till across the flip of the 20th century.
It’s thought that the Greek salad was invented as a method to circumvent government-set costs for a easy tomato, cucumber, and onion salad by including a slab of feta cheese on high. This dish turned a favourite amongst vacationers and has since made its method to many eating places, potlucks, and yard get-togethers all over the world.
Greek Salad With out Lettuce?
An genuine Greek salad is easy combination of cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, olives, feta, olive oil, and spices.
Many individuals surprise why a conventional Greek salad doesn’t include lettuce. The reply is easy. A Greek salad is a summer time dish since tomatoes and cucumbers develop in the summertime. In Greece, lettuce grows within the winter because it’s a cool climate plant, making it historically unavailable through the summer time.
An American-style Greek salad does embody lettuce and might also embody:
- peperoncini (pickled scorching peppers)
- bell peppers
- stuffed grape leaves
Many individuals agree that an genuine Greek salad can embody a few of these further elements however it’s essential to omit the lettuce!
One other attention-grabbing factor about this salad is that it’s historically made with massive chunks of cucumber and tomato, moderately than small dices.
Need Extra Greek-Impressed Recipes?
My household loves Greek meals (and it’s wholesome too!), so we eat lots of it. Listed below are our favourite recipes:
- Greek Meatballs with Tzatziki Sauce – I really like making this recipe in the summertime when fennel, cucumber, and mint are simply out there on the farmer’s market.
- Tangy Greek Salad Dressing – Tangy and scrumptious, this dressing is nice on salads or over roasted greens. It’s additionally nice as a marinade for greens or meat.
- Greek Meatloaf Recipe – This meatloaf makes use of flavors reminiscent of lemon, fennel, and mint which are harking back to gyro meat I usually ate whereas touring in Europe.
- Greek Stir Fry Recipe – This quick and easy recipe is ideal for weeknights or any time you want a scrumptious meal rapidly.
- Greek-Style Moussaka – I really like easy casserole dishes that may be made forward and reheated when wanted. This one suits the invoice and has saved me many occasions once I’ve had a brand new child or another excuse that cooking was troublesome.
- Greek Chicken Skillet – This recipe is true up my alley because it makes use of one pan and contains numerous wholesome Greek-inspired elements!
Greek meals is so scrumptious, we regularly embody a Greek-inspired dish in our weekly meal plan.
My Massive Fats Greek Salad Recipe
A easy, however scrumptious Greek salad of cucumber, tomato, onion, olives, topped with feta and drizzled with a simple French dressing.
In a medium bowl, mix the cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, and olives.
Add oregano, salt, pepper, vinegar, and olive oil and stir to mix.
Add diced feta and gently toss.
Refrigerate for an hour to let flavors meld.
Serve and revel in.
Do you’re keen on the flavors of Greece? What’s your favourite dish?