Nov. 19, 2020 — As COVID-19 case counts and hospitalizations of proceed to speed up within the U.S., the CDC on Thursday bluntly suggested People to not journey for the Thanksgiving vacation.
“Amid this vital section, the CDC is recommending towards journey through the Thanksgiving interval,” stated Henry Walke, MD, COVID-19 incident supervisor, on a name with reporters.
Walke stated all types of journey are dangerous.
“What we’re involved about just isn’t solely the precise mode of journey — whether or not it’s an airplane or bus or automobile — but additionally the transportation hubs we’re involved about, as nicely.”
Standing in line to get on aircraft, bus, or practice makes it tougher to maintain area between your self and different folks.
With instances already climbing at alarming charges, CDC officers stated they have been involved that the vacations could additional drive up instances and deaths, significantly for older members of the family.
“The most secure method to rejoice Thanksgiving this 12 months is at house with members of your family,” stated Erin Sauber-Schatz, PhD, head of the CDC’s Group Interventions and significant Populations Job Power, in accordance with TheNew York Instances.
The company launched up to date Thanksgiving steering as nicely, that strengthens its earlier warnings in regards to the upcoming vacation.
“Gatherings with household and mates who don’t dwell with you’ll be able to enhance the possibilities of getting or spreading COVID-19 or the flu,” the steering says. “Journey could enhance your likelihood of getting and spreading COVID-19. Suspending journey and staying house is one of the best ways to guard your self and others this 12 months.”
If you happen to’re nonetheless contemplating touring or gathering with different folks, the CDC suggests answering these questions first:
- Are you, somebody in your family, or somebody you can be visiting at elevated threat for getting very sick from COVID-19?
- Are instances excessive or growing in your group or your vacation spot? Examine the CDC’s COVID Information Tracker for the most recent variety of instances.
- Are hospitals in your group or your vacation spot overwhelmed with sufferers who’ve COVID-19? To search out out, verify state and native public well being division web sites.
- Does your house or vacation spot have necessities or restrictions for vacationers? Examine state and native necessities earlier than you journey.
- Through the 14 days earlier than your journey, have you ever or these you’re visiting had shut contact with folks they don’t dwell with?
- Do your plans embody touring by bus, practice, or air, which could make staying 6 ft aside tough?
- Are you touring with individuals who don’t dwell with you?
If you happen to answered “sure” to any of those questions, the CDC suggests making different plans: Keep house, host a “digital” Thanksgiving, or postpone it till one other time.